Posting from EPA
The United States Environmental Protection Agency’s Office of General Counsel seeks applications for its Honors Fellowship Program only from:
- law students at accredited law schools graduating by May 2014
- current judicial clerks recently graduated from accredited law schools
The Office of General Counsel’s Honors Fellowship is designed for applicants who are about to graduate from law school or complete a judicial clerkship. OGC is seeking applicants with excellent analytical and writing abilities, a strong commitment to public service, effective “people” skills, and an ability to take on significant responsibility.
- The Fellowship offers a unique opportunity for entry-level law students or clerks to join an office that provides legal counsel to EPA policymakers, thus providing critical input to rules, regulations, and guidance documents that are promulgated and issued to implement the Agency’s statutory obligations.
- OGC offers a diverse, supportive, and family-friendly work environment. The salary and comprehensive benefits will be at the GS-11 level (currently starting at $62,467), or, for qualified applicants, may be at the GS-12 level (currently starting at $74,872).
Additional information about the Office's mission and functions can be found on the OGC Employment Opportunities web page.
Applicants wishing to apply for the Fellowship which begins in September/October 2014 must submit an application package by the first week of July as all applications need to be received by July 12, 2013 (NOT POSTMARKED).
The following items must be included in the application package:
- A cover letter;
- A resume including significant accomplishments, work experience, class rank (or equivalent indicator of academic performance), day and evening telephone numbers, and email address, if available;
- An official transcript of law school grades;
- A personal essay, separate from the cover letter, of no more than 300 words addressing the following topics...
a) Describe an experience that displays your commitment to public service or protecting human health and the environment.
b) Describe aspects of your experience or background that you believe are relevant but which might not be evident from the balance of your submission;
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three references. Please include a current or former employer and a law school professor or advisor; and
- A 5-10 page writing sample; and
- A completed demographic form.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of General Counsel
1200 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. (2311A)
Washington, D.C. 20460
If you are using FedEx or UPS, please REPLACE the zip code (20460) and mail code (2311A) in the above address with "20004" and "4315G", respectively.
Questions about the Office of General Counsel's Honors Fellowship Program should be directed to Manuel Gonzalez at (202) 564-3222.
Selected applicants will be invited for interviews, at the candidate's expense, in Washington, D.C.. Offers will be made in November.